Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Before the Jegel's were a Posse... 1991 - 2003

As I started working on our blog, in 2008 I realized there is so much missing! In an effort to preserve our memories I decided to document a bit about how The Jegel Posse came to be...

1991-1992
In September of 1991 Erik and I started our freshman year at Hart High School. Erik had moved from North Hollywood to Circle J Ranch in 1987 when he was 9 and I moved to Stevenson Ranch in 1989 during my 8th grade year. We both started 9th grade at Hart High in the Fall of 1991. Neither of us had any friends at school so the first few weeks were a little rough. Erik was eating lunch with a few guys he had met in class and I had been "adopted" by some senior girls who felt bad watching me eat alone. Eventually I worked up the nerve to asked the cute guy from my English and Math classes if he wanted to eat lunch with me. Erik had to clear his schedule but we pretty much spent brunch and lunch together for the next 4 years!
Magic Mountain 1992: 9th Grade
 
 Jare's 12th birthday party. January 1992
Disneyland 1992: 10th Grade
February 1992: Freshman year: JV Softball
Sophomore Year
Junior Year, Varsity Softball

1993-1995
Through our 4 years of high school we were in a few of the same classes, ate lunch together much of the time but never dated. I was busy playing softball and did a summer washing trucks at U-Haul. Erik spent most of his time playing roller hockey. We graduated in June of 1995. I can still remember seeing him after the graduation ceremony on the COC football field and exchanging cards.
Senior Pictures: August 1994

 June 1995: Graduation


1996
After high school we kept in touch via letters, even though we only lived 2 miles apart! Erik even wrote and saved one of his letters on a disk that he mailed to me! We occasionally saw each other for birthdays and both attended College of the Canyons but never ran into each other at school until December of 1996. I was rushing to the parking lot and walked by a tall dark haired guy standing in the book return line. As he turned around I realized it was Erik! A few inches taller, no glasses and short hair! After a brief chat we decided to get together and started hanging out during the winter break...
Bought my 1991 Camaro RS
0-26! Yes, that's wins/losses
Torey's 19th Birthday: Dinner at Victoria's Station at City Walk
Jonathan, Torey, Chris and Erik

1997
After 3 months of hanging out several times a week, I worked up the nerve to steal Erik's wallet from his back pocket and we kissed. That was April 4th, 1997 and we've been together ever since...
We saw each other almost everyday while we were dating. I attended his roller and ice hockey games in Santa Clarita, North Hills and Simi Valley and he came to my softball games at COC.
Erik worked at a hockey store and Office Max while attending COC (occasionally). I was attended COC, playing softball and working at Big 5 Sporting Goods. I tried a stint at Bank of America but, REALLY didn't care for it. I graduated from COC in May of 1997 with my Associates degree and started at CSUN in August.
 
October: Torey's 20th Birthday at Gladstone's    November: JCPenney Pictures, dating 8 months
 Lighting at Easy Street in Simi Valley
 June 1997: COC Graduation
November: Jean's Birthday at Eda May's

1998
We celebrated our 1 year dating anniversary in April and Erik's 21st birthday in May. Jean, Carl, Mandy, Kurt, Eda May and I made the trip to Las Vegas and stayed at the New York New York.
1998 was also the year Erik finally replaced his Plymouth Voyager Minivan that had over 250,000 miles, balled tires (and numerous other issues) with a brand new Chevy truck. I was happy he got a new truck but not so happy about the $24,000 he spent while making $6.50 per hour at OfficeMax!
 May 1998: Erik's 21st Birthday in Las Vegas at the New York New York Hotel

Erik's 1998 Chevy Truck. His first new car!

November 1998: Kurt & Christine's Wedding          Amy & Jeremy's Wedding Reception            
October 1998

1999
We celebrated our 2 year dating anniversary in Ventura staying at the Clock Tower Inn. We wandered the paths on a surrey bike, played paddle ball and built a sand castle.

Erik quit OfficeMax (before they could fire him for being late all the time) and made the decision to go to ITT Tech in Sylmar for computer networking. He also got a new job doing data entry at Shield Healthcare in Valencia. I finally left Big 5 after 4 years to work for Princess Cruises as a Reservation Agent while still attending CSUN.
 January 1999: Smokehouse for Eda May's Birthday
 October 1999: Torey's 22nd Birthday
November 1999: Thanksgiving
The notorious 80 gallon fish tank in his always messy room, unless I cleaned it :)
2000
We celebrated our 3 year anniversary in April. I started my senior year at CSUN in August, still working for Princess Cruises. Erik continued at ITT Tech and working for Shield Healthcare.
Eda May's Birthday: January 2000
August 2000: Starting of my Senior Year at CSUN
  March 4th: Jennifer and Brian Jackson's Wedding     May 27th: Jeana and Brian's Wedding Day
October 2000: Torey's 23rd Birthday
LA Prime at the Bonaventure with Mom, Bubba, Erik, Vicki and Patrick
Erik planned a surprise trip to Las Vegas, The Paris Hotel, for my birthday.
He bought me a stuffed cat (Sumo) at the Aladdin Hotel :)

2001
2001 was another busy year. In March my dad and Kathy got married and by the end of the year had decided to move back to Texas. 
Erik graduated with Honors (3.5 GPA) with an Associates in Computers Networking from ITT! 
I graduated from CSUN with a Bachelor's of Science in Interior Design and minors in Art and History.
I quit my job at Princess Cruises right after graduation and took a full-time position at Simply Style in Stevenson Ranch where I had done my internship. Erik found a job with Tele-tech in North Hollywood doing tech support.
 January 9, 2001: Grama Kottke's Birthday Dinner at Black Angus in Burbank
Erik's messy room :)
 March 23rd: Dad and Kathy's Wedding in Riverside

May and June were busy months...
I finished school and took a full-time job at Simply Style, where I interned/worked part-time and Erik continued to work in North Hollywood at Tele-tech.
CSUN Sequoia Hall Opening / Interior Design Show
 Shiva, Desiree, Anet, Caitlin, Anet, Maria, Tammy and Torey
Ennis-Brown House Reception

Graduation Party at Tammy's parents in Northridge
Maria, Torey, Anet, Tammy, Carol, Shiva and Jennifer
 


We celebrated our graduations by spending 4 days in Yosemite, camping and hiking. We hiked Half Dome in 1 day, which we paid for with sunburns and shin splints!
 
September 2001: Top of Half Dome

2002
5 years after we started dating on February 9th Erik proposed and we were finally engaged!
We drove through Tommy's and got chili burgers before driving to a cul-de-sac up in Stevenson Ranch. We ate and were talking when he pulled the ring out from the side door pocket. A few minutes after I said yes a bright light shone in the back window of the truck, the sheriffs had pulled up behind us wondering what we were doing parking on an empty cul-de-sac! When I excitedly told them we had just gotten engaged he proceeded to tell us about the hardships of marriage! :)

2002: Engagement Pictures
The ring...
We spent most of 2002 working and planning the wedding. It was fun checking out different venues, ring shopping in LA and putting together center pieces and favors.
In August I quit my job at Simply Style and took a job with Norwalk Furniture.

In November Vicki, Mandy and mom threw me a bridal shower at the house.

2003
We started 2003 with a bang! Our bachelor/bachelorette party included friends and family. We took a 22 passenger Ford Excursion to the Laugh Factory in Hollywood. With a 2 drink minimum and everyone buying us drinks we were a little "tipsie" by the end of the night. :)
On our way to the Laugh Factory
Laugh Factory: Nice photo bomb Jare!

Our rehearsal at The First Christian Church of North Hollywood

Rehearsal dinner at The Smokehouse in Burbank

On January 25 after almost 6 years of dating we tied the knot.
 

Our reception was at the Sportsman's Lodge with a BIG thanks to Valerie, a friend of my mom's from high school and the event planner!
We were too busy dancing and chatting to eat, the DJ was great and everyone danced the night away.
We spent the night at the Lodge. Mom and Billy took us to LAX in the morning to start our honeymoon in Maui!
 Kurt's Epic speech/toast
 My Co-worker (Jackie) made my leopard/black lace garter

We honeymooned on the south shore at the Maui Prince in Wailua. The hotel was beautiful, with a giant koi pond/garden in the center. We drove the road to Hana (with a little off-roading in the Sebring on the way back), snorkeled, visited the Maui Ocean Center and loved sitting out on the balcony every night, so relaxing.
 Mom and Billy had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne sent to our room
 Amazing koi pond in the middle of the hotel
Lunch at the hotel cafe
Maui Ocean Center
Molokini from the beach at our hotel
 Our last day...
 In the airport before heading home

We closed escrow on our 835 sq ft. condo in the Siena Villas just a few days before Christmas of 2002. 
We replaced the carpet and painted so it was ready when we got back from the honeymoon! 
We were able to purchase new living and dining room furniture through my job at Norwalk Furniture over the year. We also refinished the kitchen cabinets, put in recessed lights and tiled the kitchen and bathroom floors.
Mom and Billy delivered all our wedding gifts.
We slept on a air mattress until our new mattress was delivered
Good News! The 80 gallon fish tank fits in the loft :)
Our desks in the loft where we spent several evenings
After we found out I was pregnant we bought a new fish tank?? 92 Gallons!

2003 was also a tough year... Just 4 months after we got married Erik was laid off from his job at Tele-tech. He never really liked his job or the drive to Hollywood but it took over 6 months and hundreds of resumes before he was hired as a level I tech with Atlas Broadband. In the end it was a blessing since Atlas paid more and was in Valencia. I also started teaching part-time at College of the Canyons in March of 2003, which I loved!
2003 also brought the loss of my Aunt Linda who had a brain aneurysm at 50 and Grandpa Stotts.
In September I miscarried at about 5 weeks but was pregnant again before December!

0 comments: